Well locally I do this (which I'm hoping to PR soon once tests are
passing): https://github.com/apache/incubator-airflow/pull/4326. This
allows me to connect to any k8s cluster.

But for simplicity/parity with CI, you can follow these steps:

  export DOCKER_COMPOSE_VERSION=1.20.0
  export SLUGIFY_USES_TEXT_UNIDECODE=yes
export TOX_ENV=py35-backend_postgres-env_kubernetes
KUBERNETES_VERSION=v1.10.0 PYTHON_VERSION=3
./scripts/ci/kubernetes/setup_kubernetes.sh
./scripts/ci/kubernetes/kube/deploy.sh

This will give you airflow runniung on minikube. you can then do a kubectl
port-forward <airflow container> 8080 8080 to port-forward into the
instance.

I can attempt to check webserver logs again when I have some time
(hopefully this weekend/next week) as well.

Thanks Tao!