The DN does not need to authenticate as the "root" HDFS user to perform
administrative tasks.

A while back, we started an initiative to reduce the exposure of the HDFS
"root" user due to security concerns.  In doing so, we tightened up where we
distribute the HDFS keytab file. However since then some services need to
create directories and change permissions on them as the HDFS root user upon
installation; and thus, the keytab file is being distributed more than some
security-conscious people would like.  Until we find a way to centralize the
creation of these HDFS resources, we need to deal with this.

You should not normally need the HDFS keytab file on DN hosts... are you having
an issue?

Rob