Because:
1) Having an <xyzdef> for every single one adds new elements for nothing,
and is not extensible to custom types (like <buildpath>) to define its own
new typed role/interface (<buildpathresolver>).

compatibility), adding extensibility to other types (within Ant or not)!

Why are you getting hang on <antlib> per se? What's bad about having an
in-build-file <antlib>? It's not worse than a <taskdef>, and better because
extensible to new roles/types/interfaces/beans, whatever!

The point being that AntLib doesn't define new component types, it allows
*me* and *every other* build file writer to define my own new component
types and/or implementation of existing component types.

I don't care how you want to implement it! I want the functionality AntLib
provides ASAP, so if you don't provide a 'better' proposal that solves the
same issue, namely being able to plug in not just types/tasks to Ant which
are configured like regular types/tasks, then your -1 squarely goes against
my *need*, and the needs of quite a few others; a need I hope you agree is
important... --DD