I think that roles add clarity to description of datatypes or components. I
liked the syntax of the antlib descriptor proposed by Jose Alberto, which in
my example with shapes would have been :
<antlib version="1.5" >
  <task name="computearea" class="org.apache.demo.ComputeAreaTask"/>
  <task name="computeperimeter"
class="org.apache.demo.ComputePerimeterTask"/>
 <role name="shape" class="org.apache.demo.ShapeInterface"/>
  <shape name="circle" class="org.apache.demo.Circle"/>
  <shape name="square" class="org.apache.demo.Square"/>
</antlib>
Reading this, and knowing that computearea and computeperimeter accept
shapes as nested element, a build file writer would know that <circle/> and
<square/> can be nested inside <computearea/> and <computeperimeter/>. This
descriptor also says that ShapeInterface should have a special meaning for
ant, which for instance Serializable, Cloneable, ... do not necessarily
have.

However, if , as it sounds, I am the only committer who expresses support
for roles, I will give up on that subject.

Antoine