I know ;-) To come back on track, I would still like to be able to set this
attribute if I chose to (getting the behavior I described), while you could
leave it off, and have your cake too.

As a build writer, I want to be able to protect myself from improper (IMO)
use of my build files, which would lead to the confusion I fear. But you're
free not to do that! Kenneth point is very valid too, and you could still
extract what would need to be shared into an import-only third file...

Getting back to your point, where does that leaves us for basedir?

I much prefer the restrictions I'm talking about, but maybe they could be ON
only if explicitly requested??? Dual behavior is not good, but neither is
tricky behavior... --DD