Just think about "why three times ant.jar":

test-ant
  <depend project="dist-ant" inherit="all"/>

http://gump.apache.org/metadata/project.html sais
  "For both script and ant based builds, any jars defined by the
  specified project as outputs are added to the CLASSPATH prior
  to invoking the build operation, unless you nest a <noclasspath>
  element into the <depend> element."
therefore all <jar>s of dist-ant are on the classpath for test-ant.
--> dist-ant: <jar name="lib/ant.jar" id="ant"/>   OK

inherit="all"
Other choices are "all" which will copy all dependencies [...] into the list
of jars
exported by this project.
So we have to see at dist-ant:

dist-ant
  <depend project="ant" inherit="all"/>
  <jar name="lib/ant.jar" id="ant"/> -- already discussed

ant
  <depend project="bootstrap-ant"/>
  <jar name="lib/ant.jar" id="ant"/> -- earned by inherit=all

bootstrap-ant
  <jar name="lib/ant.jar"/> -- earned by standard <depend> behaviour (see
above)

But three times the ant.jar is registered with id=ant. Why all three are
given to test-ant? Shouldnt the id be overriden?

Jan