On 2008-11-20, Dominique Devienne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 11:19 PM, Stefan Bodewig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On 2008-11-19, Bruce Atherton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> The only other topic I saw brought up on this thread was whether a
>>> target-group should be allowed to have tasks in it rather than
>>> requiring it to be empty.

>> If we allwed them to e non-empty, we could do away with target-group
>> completely and simply open up the depends list of all targets.

> Sorry, I'm not getting this. Can you expand on what you mean please? --DD

Technically you can change the depends list of any target during
parsing, it is ProjectHelper2 that will prevent you from doing

<target name="a"/>
<target name="b" target-group="a"/>

and it is going to tell you that "a" is not a target-group.

The *only* differences between <target> and <target-group> in trunk
are:

* <target-group>s must be empty

* you cannot use the target-group attribute to change the depends list
  of a plain target

If we do away with the first one, why not with the second one as well?

<target name="a">
  <task1/>
  <task2/>
</target>

<target name="b" before="a">
  <taskA/>
  <taskB/>
</target>

and we don't need <target-group> at all.

The documentation would say "don't use before to modify the depends
list of a target defined in the same file, use the depends-attribute
for that", but it should say the same for target-groups currently as
well.

This is just an idea, not that I'm conviced of it myself.