On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Siddhartha Purkayastha
<kpsiddha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> I am not sure I understand the whole of what you said (probably I lack
> sufficient context here), so I am trying to rephrase here -
>
> What you are suggesting is we defer the creation of the PropertyDebugHelper
> (our custom helper) till the execution of the "" target (which I assume is
> the implicit target) is complete. The assumption being that we may expect a
> custom propertyhelper, if available at all, to have been instantiated by
> then. If there is such a propertyhelper it will be wrapped by the
> PropertyDebugHelper instance and all that the latter would do is to do its
> own stuff and then delegate the call to the actual wrapped helper. Is this
> correct?

Correct.

> If so, I see two problems with this:
>
> (a) It seems it is also possible to create propertyhelpers inside
> user-defined targets - in which case we will not be able to track such
> property helpers? May be that is why you brought up the question of
> listeners for the project references table.

Correct again.

> (b) If the creation of the PropertyDebugHelper is deferred till later we
> will not be able to define watch points on property creations that are
> happening in the "" target.

I hadn't considered this.

> I think another way of attaining it could be to 'indirectly listen' for
> calls to set a PropertyHelper instance in the taskFinished method of the
> listener itself. As soon as we detect a call to the propertyhelper task has
> finished, we can retrieve the new PropertyHelper, replace the existing
> wrapped instance in PropertyDebugHelper with the new one, and set this
> PropertyDebugHelper instance back as the PropertyHelper reference for the
> project.
>
> How does this sound?

Strictly speaking, it isn't 100% necessary to use the
PropertyHelperTask to replace the PropertyHelper.  However, in my
experience it's not something you can do with stock Ant tasks, instead
requiring Java (or, I suppose, script) code to do.  So why would
anyone *not* use the provided task to do it?  Therefore this seems
reasonable.

Matt