>>I was merely speculating as to why HttpClient is there and what challenges
>> lay ahead should that part of code be refreshed.

Understood :)

>> Sorry for digressing, adding setConnectTimeout is fine

I sent a PR with minimal changes for now
https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/pull/23

>> (even though setTimeout from HttpClient corresponds to setReadTimeout in
>> URLConnection
>> -- perhaps that should be changed in HttpClientHandler for consistency?).

I like what Nicolas suggested in one of his replies, that we make this (and
other necessary timeout configs) a well specified contract and have them
defined all the way from the settings. I think we can handle this change as
part of that work. I can file a enhancement JIRA to track this work and have it
available in either the upcoming release or some release after that (depending
on how big this change turns out to be).

My main motivation behind BasicURLHandler at this point is the fact that one of
the test which uses this class takes unnecessarily long because of the missing
timeout support. The minor change that I included in that PR should let us move
forward, on that front.

-Jaikiran