So that does mean cachefileset has a role to play in at least some cases. In
that case, I think the approach we could take is to _not_ deprecate it and
instead include this limitation as part of the documentation *and* enhance the
code of this task to explicit fail with a proper error when it can’t determine
a common base directory.

-Jaikiran
On 02-Jun-2017, at 2:55 PM, Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@hibnet.org> wrote:

> Le 2 juin 2017 à 08:22, Jan Matèrne (jhm) <apa...@materne.de> a écrit :
>
> From a naive user point of view, it doesnt matter (to me) if I use
> ivy:chachefileset or ivy:resources.
> I want to specify the dependency and have a 'thing' which contains all
> required jars, so I could
> use external tasks/antlibs.
>
> Ant itself moved from fileset to resource collection some years ago and Ivy
> could follow.
> But I am not sure that we could use RCs _everywhere_.
> In the few exceptions you have to use ivy:cachefileset - maybe multiple …

One limitation of resource collections is that they doesn’t have necessarily a
basedir, contrary to a fileset :)
For instance a basedir it is quite useful for the copy task, so a set of files
be be copied with their relative paths to the basedir, rather than with their
absolute paths.

Nicolas