Github user bodewig commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/ant/pull/50

    Thank you @twogee

    The idea was you can build a minimal set of Ant (without the optional tasks
that have external dependencies) and run the tests for this minimal set without
downloading anything external. This will no longer be the case when applying
your PR.

    I'm totally fine with upgrading JUnit to 4.12, upgrading Regex and the
Maven Ant tasks but really would prefer keeping the jars and licenses in
lib/optional.

    If I can ask for a favor in your future patches, please don't mix
whitespace, text changes and functional changes in a single commit. Reviewing
your changes to `fetch.xml` is pretty difficult as the important change (adding
antunit) is easily overlooked between all the other changes.

---