After releasing the (now aborted) RC1 of 1.10.6 last week, I went back
to see how I managed to mess up that RC. While looking into that, I
uncovered an unrelated issue which I think now needs attention and
decision before I start a new RC release for 1.10.6.

As far as I understand the pom files that we maintain and publish to
Maven central are basic minimal. However, a bunch of relatively recent
commits have introduced certain changes to those poms. I have gone
through the mail discussion/commit logs to understand why this was done
and what goal it was trying to achieve and how it was trying to achieve
that. Reading that discussion, I haven't understood these changes and
nor do I understand them now after reviewing them again (there's more
than one commit).

However, the commit of note (or at least the issue I spotted was) is
this[1]. Specifically this content[2]. I don't understand why it's coded
to fetch a specific version of Ant. Is that version supposed to be
updated every time a newer release is done? What's the point of getting
a released version of Ant when the whole "latest" code of Ant is
available and built locally and can be used by these poms for whatever
tests need to be run against the Ant distribution?

Furthermore, when these poms are now released, the released 1.10.6
version (for example) will now end up having this (artificial)
dependency on 1.10.5 Ant zip distribution and that's a public facing
pom. Is that the right thing?

Any thoughts on how I should proceed? This isn't an isolated single
commit in the poms so I don't really know what impact it might have just
undoing this change (if that's the way to go).

For now, I won't be initiating a RC for 1.10.6 till we come to a
decision around these poms and this one in particular.

[1]
https://github.com/apache/ant/commit/f871e80a6a9f6165137d24b72e209a73283494e8#diff-da69e4ebd862444e205e118aa2aed802

[2]
https://github.com/apache/ant/commit/f871e80a6a9f6165137d24b72e209a73283494e8#diff-c4ff64043583b0162e0b77f91c2e8a1eR112