Hello Martijn,

I was in the process of running some tests to decide if we are in a
state to do a release of Ant project. While doing so, I ran into an
issue where our project build no longer honours the source, target and
release attributes of the javac task for versions of javac that support
it. For example when building with Java 11 our "compile" target in
build.xml although has the correct attribute values, those values never
get passed to the underlying javac call. As a result, the compiled
classes use an incorrect major/minor version and can no longer boot in
Java 8, when compiled from Java 11. Debugging this, I found that this
issue is a consequence of the changes in [1][2][3]. [2] and [3] are just
follow-up commits to [1], so the main issue seems to be related to the
change in [1]. I tried to review it, but don't have much context around
that change. Was it related to some enhancement/bug-fix? Let me know if
you need a simple reproducer to help reproduce this problem locally.

I haven't yet had a chance to see if this impacts other attributes of
the javac task and not just source/target/release attributes.

[1]
https://github.com/apache/ant/commit/8f903513877e81e1c2e180c80c467f1ad71fc1d9

[2]
https://github.com/apache/ant/commit/7b825e7c9600aa98156572bf8e83871f7e6bd911