Hello Stefan,

On 27/06/21 4:10 pm, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
On 2021-06-17, Jaikiran Pai wrote:

So right now I don't have specific proposals for fixing this but just
a note that we will have to look into this one for the upcoming JDK 17
release.
I guess we can simply concatenate stderr and stdout and look for the
"warnings" message there. This should work for every version of Java
supported by Ant.

I went ahead and implemented this suggestion. It took me a while to implement this because I noticed that javadoc tool itself exposes a way to fail on warning https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8200363 (-Xwerror in JDK8 and -Werror on recent versions). I wanted to try and use it in our javadoc task, but it turned out not to be straightforward since we need to add javadoc tool version checks to get it to work in all versions of the tool. Plus, even after adding that option, if our javadoc task's "failonerror" is set to false (which is the default), the task will still not fail when it sees a warning. Considering all this, I decided looking for the warning in both stderr and stdout is the most consistent way to get this working.

-Jaikiran