Custom control tuples are control tuples emitted by an operator itself and not by the platform. Prior to the introduction of the custom control tuples, only Apex engine itself puts control tuples into various sinks, so the engine created necessary Tuple objects with the corresponding type prior to calling Sink.put().

Not all sinks need to be changed. Only control tuple aware sinks should provide such functionality. In the case there is a lot of code duplication, please create an abstract class, that other control aware sinks will extend from.

Thank you,

Vlad