A strong +1 for the second approach for the reasons Pramod mentioned.

Is it also possible to “prune” branches so that we have less of this activity
of merging fixes across branches? If we can ascertain that a certain branch is
not used by any user/customer (by asking in the community) we should be able to
remove it. For example, apex-malhar has release-3.6 which is definitely
required but 3 year old branches like release-0.8.5, release-0.9.0, … telecom
most probably are not being used by anybody.