Time commitment should not be much, based looking into some of these things
recently. You need some knowledge with build tools, main issue I
encountered was lack of documentation/knowledge sharing.

I completed the 3.6.0 update. The docker image needs some more updates such
as Java version and Bigtop version. There are also some Bigtop JIRAs open
to make the Apex build more robust.

Thomas