On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 18:12 -0800, Curtis Clauson wrote:
> G. Roderick Singleton wrote:

> >>Thanks Juergen.
> >>
> >>Unfortunately, it is difficult to submit issues when you have no idea if
> >>the behavior is a bug or part of an unknown and undocumented design.
> >>
> >>The community would reap far more benefit if an OOo Basic language
> >>specification were a live document in the scripting project
> >>documentation section.
> >

> > Sorry bout that. Too quick on the send. I meant to say, I agree this is
> > a great idea but unless someone such as yourself sits down and does it,
> > it will not happen. May I encourage you to think about doing so? I can
> > assure you that we, on the documentation project, will assist.
>
> Well, I have a lot of historical BASIC documentation for different
> implementations from my older teaching days. The problem is, matching
> what has been Basic to what is actually implemented in OOo.
>
> I took a quick look at the parser and discovered an ancient-style,
> procedure oriented, and heavily patched parser/tokenizer/code-generator.
> There have been alterations made to it recently.
>
> For me to create a language specification, I would have to dredge
> through all the code and try to deduce what it was actually intended to
> implement. This takes a lot of time. Add to that the fact that all the
> comments are in German, the translation of which adds a *lot* more time.
>
> Someone who already knows this implementation, like those who wrote it,
> would be able to create a language specification in a fraction of the
> time it would take me. I'm astounded that the implementation is not
> based on an already written specification or BNF-ish grammar.
>
> If no one like this already exists, I could deal with it, but it will be
> awhile. What really kills me is that, though I love Basic as a
> prototyping and entry-level language, I've always hated it for office
> automation, preferring instead JavaScript so that the office automation
> script, web page script, and plugin/extension language are all based on
> the same language concepts. I know we can now use JS for OOo (hooplah!),
> but people like me are still forced to support Basic for clients still
> dedicated to Basic. <sigh>
>
> I presume questions about the Basic implementation are more properly
> addressed to the UDK Development mailing list?

Basic is only one of many ways of programming, albeit the easiest
because it's built-in, but not the only one. There is python, perl, Java
et cetera.

Since you have taken the time to do an initial survey, and found it
difficult, perhaps I can still persuade you that even your survey might
be useful. Please consider doing something like this. We have a VBA to
OOoBasic cross reference but more would be good even if it's a bit
superficial.

Thanks,

ger
--
Documentation Co-Lead
PLEASE - keep list traffic on the list.  Email sent directly to me may

"Dinna meddle wi' things ye ken nuthin' aboot!"
J.Herriot