Dear OpenOffice.org community,

I am back from a week of vacation I spend mostly, but not completely, away
from the computer.  And this distance brought me an idea which I was long
looking for:

>       - Pointing out important articles for the [EMAIL PROTECTED] NEWSLETTER

A lot of the work for the newsletter which I once created, was finding all
the links into the mailinglist archive on the OOo website.  Searching for
the message id is unfortunately not possible.  And especially in long
threads, it was hard to find the right article just by the subject an
author.

Now I wrote a small script which simply downloads the archive for a month.
Currently I sill have to give the article number range manually, but thats
easy to figure out by querying for all articles from a particular month.
With this, I have all the message ids and the links into the archive in a
simple format.

Based on this, creating the newsletter would be a lot easier!  And I
think, such a newsletter is also valuable as a knowledge archive.

Additonally, I could just create a web form (using my own webspace) with
fields like this:

        Subject: ________________________________________________

        Article: ________________________________________________

        Link[1]: _________________________ (*)MsgID ( )URL
        Link[2]: _________________________ (*)MsgID ( )URL
        Link[3]: _________________________ (*)MsgID ( )URL
        Link[4]: _________________________ (*)MsgID ( )URL

        [send] [clear]

This could be filled out like this:

        Subject: new newsletter creation mechanism

        Article: In [1] Michael Hönnig provided a new mechanism to ease
                 the creation of newsletters.  By just filling out a
                 simple web form [2], every community member can easily
                 contribute newsletter entries.  Message IDs are
                 automatically transformed to links into the archive
                 of the mailing list on the openoffice.org website.
                 The newsletter is mailed automatically by the end
                 of the month.

        Link[1]: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (*)MsgID ( )URL
        Link[2]: http://www.example.org          ( )MsgID (*)URL

With an additional field for the OOo project, even other OOo projects
could participate from this mechanism. Because links into other
mailinglists of OOo need to be supported anyway, if there are issues
interesting for the API project, this would even be sensible.

The form could even automatically send a reply to the list that a certain
article was referred in the newsletter, having the Message-ID, that would
be easy!  This could also be optional.

Does this sound interesting?  Would you participate in creating this
newsletter by filling out the form if you think an article is interesting
to be mentioned in the newsletter and archived as such?  If enough
community members would use such a tool, I am willing to create it.

        Michael

--
Michael Hoennig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
project lead OpenOffice.org API