I definitely would like to be part of such a discussion.

Some comments/ideas in-line:

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 16:04 +0200, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we plan an open discussion around the programmablity features of
> OpenOffice.org. I am not 100% sure if we can arrange everything in time.
> I am on vacation the next two weeks, so you should take a look to the
> conference program for more details about time and location.
> You can also send me an email if you are interested and i will contact
> you short notice before the conference.

> Open discussion about OpenOffice.org programmability features
>
> We invite you to an open discussion about the programmability features
> of OpenOffice.org. The intention of this discussion is to get direct
> feedback about the current situation and the existing features and to
> get ideas what we can do to make it more attractive and easier to
> develop for OpenOffice.org. We would like to address several topics in
> this discusson:
> - what can we do to increase the developer community (related to
> extension, e.g. add-ons, macro libraries, ...)

* Core developers concentrate on providing components for macro
developers. For example having docked/floating windows accessible by
macros was seen as a low priority and relegated to 2.0.1 maybe. I would
have liked to seen these core features given a higher a priority.

* A system for people to donate funds for a feature and for developers
to be able to 'claim' funds having implemented a requested feature.

* A standard and easy way for people to search for, download and install
extensions. Coupled with this is an easy way for extension developers to
upload their work. A system for marking extensions as having been
checked. [I have had several posts on this topic before]

> - how can we increase and improve our code snippet base on
> api.openoffice.org (more snippets, ensuring quality, extend to complete
> examples, ...)

I am guilty of having setup a separate system - a wiki:
http://ext.openoffice.org.nz/

My rationale for doing so was:
* Ease of updating the code snippets
* Ease of searching the code snippets
* Ease of cross referencing between code snippets
* Ease of mingling explanatory text
* Ease of interaction

Having said that, not very many people have contributed to the wiki.

> - who can help to prepare developer documentation for different
> abstaction levels and skills. The current Developer's Guide is more for
> experts and we need further documentaiton for beginners. We need
> specific documentation for Basic users as well as for Java, C++, CLI or
> Python. Different kind of documentation reaching from best practise,
> over short 5-pagers describing a single aspect to complete guides for
> larger API areas (e.g. writer API)

My wiki was an attempt to try and fill, at least some of, this need. I
am willing to put time and effort into a more officially recognised
system.

> We, that are Juergen Schmidt (project lead of the API project) and
> Stephan Bergmann (project lead of the UDK project), are looking forward
> to an open discussion with interested community members to share ideas,
> start new collaborations with others and to drive this important
> programmability aspect for OpenOffice.org forward.
>
> Juergen + Stephan

Thanks, Ian