Darragh Sherwin wrote:
Hi Stephan

One case where this problem occurs in practice is with
com.sun.star.lang.XComponent and
com.sun.star.document.XEventBroadcaster.  I just learned that Andreas
Schlüns is probably going to add a new
com.sun.star.document.XDocumentEventBroadcaster (or similar) that will
have the same functionality as XEventBroadcaster, but using method names
that do not clash with XComponent.  Thus, in this specific case the
solution can be to inherit from XDocumentEventBroadcaster instead of
XEventBroadcaster (which you might still want to offer via the
query-interface mechanism on your objects, for backwards compatibility),
instead of using the general solution outlined above.

I am slightly disturbed by this, 2 interfaces with the same function names.
Has any consideration being given to language-bindings that do not use
the query-interface mechanism ? I.e pyuno where all interfaces for a
service are returned ? How would pyuno or language_bindings that do not
use the query-interface mechanism resolve which method to use?

Regards,

I have no idea how pyuno does it. But note that this problem was there from the beginning, and has nothing to do with the addition of multiple-inheritance interfaces. There are, for example, already cases where one UNO object implements both XComponent and XEventBroadcaster, and I have no idea how pyuno handles a call to addEventListener on such an object. However, since this problem is there from the beginning, I assume that the designers of pyuno took care of that in an appropriate manner.

-Stephan