Paolo Mantovani wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Alle 20:20, giovedì 22 marzo 2007, Frank Schönheit - Sun Microsystems Germany
> ha scritto:
>> Hi Stephan,
> [...]
>> I suppose one can think of more things which contribute to an
>> extension's required environment, but are not guaranteed to be stable
>> over major OOo upgrades.
>
> dispatch Url's are probably one of these things.

Not necessarily. My take on dispatch URL's is that they should stay
stable also except if we removed the functionality in a newer version.
But even in this case the code using it would still work; you just
wouldn't get a dispatch for the URL and so the dispatch appears to be
disabled, something the extension must be able to handle anyway.

So the generic nature of the dispatch API helps to keep the code
compatible even if the funtionality behind the dispatch might have been
changed or removed. Everything else can be dealt with in the code.

I also don't agree that the configuration might urge developers to
specify a maxversion. There are easy ways to deal with it as the
configuration also is a very generic one and so everything can be
handled in the code. In the worst case the extension can quit working
explicitly if a certain configuration access fails.

But I think Frank has mentioned one point where a "maxversion" *could*
make sense: using unpublished APIs. Changing an API used in an extension
can make it incompatible and let it crash. This is unavoidable for the
extension developer and can't be handled in the extension code.

Ciao,

Please don't reply to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]".