I am trying to use the API from my portal on one Linux server to access
OpenOffice running on a separate Linux server.  I took all the jars from
OpenOffice and made them part my portal but I could only get the API to work
after I installed OpenOffice.org on the portal server as well.  And I see
that when I use the API for the first time on the portal server, OpenOffice
is started up on the portal server.

Do you have to have the complete OpenOffice.org application installed on the
API client server and why does it start OpenOffice automatically on the
client server?

BTW I am using OpenOffice.org 2.4.

Thanks for any info on this.

Andy