Hi Mathias,

> My personal take on API changes (changes I would like to suggest or to
> do) is more restrictive anyway, but that's only me. If possible I always
> would prefer changes that just need recompilations (what usually als
> means that Basic macros don't need any work at all as the use
> introspection), maybe very small and easy changes in the client code in
> some cases.

Which sounds like a good guideline for me (personally), too.

>> and /definitely/ too restrictive for all intermediate releases.
>
> If the only interest was to fix APIs: yes. But in the context of the
> necessity to keep the API stability on a level that is acceptable for
> most API users it is a good starting point. If it turns out to be too
> restrictive we also could think about more frequent major releases. :-)

*Now* you finally couldn't resist kidding :)

I still think we should keep an open mind for earlier changes. As you
agree below, old style services can (in some respect) changed even now,
without any effect on clients.

There's probably more things which are not *that* trivial, but still
trivial enough to be made even before 4.0.

Let's see.

Ciao
Frank

--