Hi just want to throw this out since I got approached by the KDE
people at the Gran Canarias Desktop summit (guadec + akademy
http://www.grancanariadesktopsummit.org/) about the factuality of
migrating OOo to the Qt toolkit.

Although the chances were slim I did feel obligated to upstream the
question ad look at this as both a challenge and a request.

Technically speaking is this possible at all, and how many effort
would it take. I know that OOo has been doing some refactoring of some
components to enhance the performance and also make the code easier to
interact with.

However is the visual layer abstracted from the application logic
enough to consider replacing the toolkit?

They ideas they presented is that avoiding the maintenance of our own
toolkit we can open the door to free some resources to take care of
more important things.  Also that the Qt toolkit is a more modern and
with better performance toolkit than what they have seen in OOo. Qt is
also very portable as it has been ported to several architectures even
mobile devices.

So before knocking this idea, I would like to maybe learn more about
how OOo native toolkit works within OOo.

--
Alexandro Colorado
OpenOffice.org Español