Hi Frank,

Frank Schoenheit, Sun Microsystems Germany ha scritto:
[...]
Because the problem I originally raised has nothing to do with dialogs.

OK, the problem is "binary resources for extensions" I recognize that.
BUT, some versions ago, when the problem was "text resources for
extensions" the solution was "dialog centric", even if the problem is
more general.

[...]
In my understanding, dialogs can live in documents, or in the
application-wide dialog library. Also, they can be exported from within
the dialog editor as extension (can they?).

Recently this button has been removed but the possibility is still there
at API level:
http://api.openoffice.org/docs/common/ref/com/sun/star/deployment/XPackage.html#exportTo

Conceptually, those are completely different things, and having a common
solution might be pretty complex.

I can't evaluate the complexity of such an implementation but the
infrastructure for text resources is already there:
would it be so difficult adding binary resources?

(Where "solution" reminds me that I am
not even sure I have an understanding of the problem. I don't even think
that the problem statement can be worded in a way that it applies to all
three above cases.)

IMHO you can express the idea in that way:

"adding the capability of embedding images into UNO controls" (only for
controls that can display images, of course)

The reason for having an unique solution (for example storing the image
in the dialog library container) is simple:
when you start with an extension design, especially if you work in
starbasic, you will start from a basic library into a document (or at
application level) and only after you will export the library.

An approach "extension centric" will force the developer to modify
control properties after creating and installing the extension or, even
worse, to provide code for loading images into controls at runtime, that
should be the problem that you intended to solve.

An alternative approach would be to extend the image control (and any other image-aware control) with the possbility to store itself the image.
Well, there's a place in ODF for images, I don't think that image
controls in dialogs in documents should invent another location. As said
above, they should simply be able to use document-embedded images.
I respect your opinion but as i said before I find this approach not consistent

Why? If you insert an image in Write, and tell it to be not linked, then
it is embedded into the document. If you insert an image form control,
and tell it to not link, then the image is embedded in the document. If
you put a dialog into a document, and in this dialog, have an image
control, and tell it to not link its image, then the image is embedded
in the document.

I don't see an inconsistency here.

You are evaluating the consistency from the developer's point of view.
I am in the user shoes instead, so my evaluation may be slightly
different :-)

IMHO the inconsistency here is that you can easily copy/move a whole
library (or a single dialog) from a document to another or to the
application level (and viceversa) and this clearly will break any
embedded image in a way that will be totally unexpected for the user.

"Consistency" from the user POV would be:
I design a dialog into a document embedding some images.
Then, I copy/paste the dialog (or even the single image control) into
another library (e.g. into a different document or into a shared
library) and images are still there, just like other properties.

ciao
Paolo