Hi Bernd,

Bernd Eilers schrieb:

Hi Tom!

Tom Bell wrote:
I can run the attached file in a konsole,
python eng.py
However, I need to put it into an add-on
form. Can you tell me where I can get information
that will me to incorporate this into Calc
so I and others can use Engineering Notation.
All powers divided by three is what is needed and
this code snippet does that.
I tried decimal and to_eng_string that is
located in decimal according to the Python
coding page, but it doesn't seem to work.
Engineers and engineering students do need
Engineering Notation and right now, only
Excel allows it, Calc does not.

*huh* look at Format - Cells - Numbers - Scientific

it´s all already there! No need to write an addin for that!

No, in engineering notation the exponent is a multiple of 3. It corresponds to the prefixes m, µ, n, ...
The feature request for it is tracked in issue 5930; 133 votes but still P4.

Kind regard
Regina