Here's the analysis,

  We can port and drop in iconv-1.1, iconv-extra-1.1, and iconv-rfc1345-1.1
by Konstantin Chuguev from FreeBSD.  License of sources is essentially
compatible, but includes the advertising clause, requiring that we cite him
and include the disclaimer (which is essentially our own disclaimer.)

  The other/better alternative would be IBM's ICU package, but it isn't going
to be a direct and simple thing, since I find no charset <-> charset funcs,
only conversion into and out of Unicode.  The IBM Public License, of course,
is more compatible and doesn't contain the advertising clause.  I would also
put more faith into IBM and the ICU colaborators' efforts to have their tables
right, and correct and expand them very quickly.

  Jeff, had you considered ICU when you started your i18n work?  If so, what
were the shortcomings (e.g. the missing charset <-> charset functions) or
did you find these functions?

  Implementing xlate within ICU is probably no great challenge, and ICU is
already ported to Win32, so does anyone care, or should I stay with iconv?

Bill

[Either way, this will wait for the next alpha/beta to be deployed.]