ack ... or more specifically, that a p/w _simple_ text file is dependent
on which platform it is moved between.

> > I understand that there are no significant export issues remaining with the
> > original crypt() functions,
>
> Correct. crypt() is an implementation of the DES encryption algorithm, which
> has been free of export restrictions for a while now; especially after the
> recent lifting of most restrictions on open source.

Cool, that's what I'd been led to believe.

> > This is a portability issue in itself, though one that could be
> > very reasonably implemented/handled in aprutil.
>
> Euh... nope. crypt() is a function where we want to use the platform
> function if possible. crypt() can be configured on some platforms to do MD5
> encryption.
>
> If we were to write, say apr_des_encrypt(), then yes: that could go into
> apr-util since it is entirely portable.

Eh... now we are talking :-)  I have no issue with providing the 'platform
native' crypt as it's own entry point.

> But my main point was that we use crypt() in a couple areas of our code.
> crypt() is non-portable and APR should do some work to make it available to
> apps (if/when available; we'd have APR_HAS_CRYPT)

Can we live with apr_os_crypt and apr_des_crypt, for example?  (== on some
platforms, something odd on others?)

> Once that is done: yes, we can munge apr_validate_password further. But I
> don't want to see us get distracted from the first/main issue right now.

Which is ;-?  Seriously, if crypt is out there, and we are wrapping it,
stay away from the ambiguous apr_crypt name :-)