If we are 100% convinced that we will never have public symbol
overlap (ap_foo residing in httpd-2.0/server and apr/misc) then I'd
agree with your position.  Same logic we are using to justify the
identical symbols between apr and aprutil.  It's easier for us to
eyeball which package they come from as is, but I don't know that
it benefits the wider developer world.

Export symbols are an exception into and of themselves (but could
be AP_x_DECLARE to match the namespace.)