And this is very cool (no sarcasm here!)  I'm all for folks who
can build and run under cygwin!

The point is, Apache/APR on Cygwin isn't native NT, but Cygwin
compatibility upon APR compatibility.  The NT version, unfortunately,
only builds with the VC++ products.  I personally hope that grows
to include bcc (another non-unix and now free compiler), as well
as folks building gcc/semi-win32 ports.

To Mo's comment;

The -open- Apache projects are heavily supported by firms that will
ultimately release custom, tweaked, or other binary-only builds.  Once
we are touched by GNU, those companies have no financial incentive to
help grow this open community.  Go figure.  That we allow cygwin users
to build is great.  To rely on tools to distribute, that sucks.  We
don't want to ask Unix users, NT users, OS2 users, or MacOSX users to
go chasing down fourty tools to work with Apache, and that's a very
platform independent philosopy.

Footnote, I don't see that relying on the Awk from Lucient poses any
significant license problems... I'll ping upstairs and test the waters.