"Roy T. Fielding" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > > What was checked in doesn't work -- I now get warnings again on
> > > my platform, and mine is the one with the correct prototypes.
> >
> > Hmmm...  I get no warnings on a system of each flavor (Tru64 and
> > RedHat 6) and got no warnings.  What warnings do you get?  Did the
> > configure output display the right message?
> >
> > checking for type of inbuf parameter to iconv... char **
>
> RedHat 7 with the latest glibc compiled from source.  There are
> two problems, one easy and one not yet figured out:
>
>   1) The #ifdef APR_ in xlate.c must be a #if

Why is that?  We generally use #ifdef FOO if FOO is sometimes defined
and sometimes not (e.g., APR_ICONV_INBUF_CONST).  We generally use #if
FOO if FOO is always defined but sometimes to 1 and sometimes to 0
(e.g., APR_HAS_XLATE).

>   2) The test is looking at the versions and triggering #error
>
> I don't know why the version test is giving a false-positive, nor
> do I particularly care -- I don't think this can be fixed by assuming
> the version numbers mean anything.  The fix I am working on is a
> replacement for AC_TRY_COMPILE, but m4 isn't one of my strong
> points.

I don't follow your comment about "assuming the version numbers mean
anything".  Maybe if I saw the version numbers in glibc 2.2's
<features.h> it would be easy to follow what you are saying.

If you can get -Werror working for gcc, obviously we don't need the
glibc version check since we can expect to use gcc on a platform which
uses glibc 99.99% of the time, but I can't help but be curious about
why it generated the #error on RH 7.0 which has glibc 2.2 (and I guess
__GLIBC_MINOR__ == 2).

(I wasn't too eager to write the compile macro either.  When I
considered a different flavor of AC_TRY_COMPILE it was obvious that I
would have to start by cutting and pasting AC_TRY_COMPILE.  A quick
look at the license reminded me that I am not a lawyer :) )

--
Jeff Trawick | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | PGP public key at web site:
             Born in Roswell... married an alien...