On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Aaron Bannert wrote:

> Just on a side note, I also tried to reproduce this bug with my non-SMP
> rh71 (linux 2.4.3) machine, and could not.

redhat 7.1's "2.4.3" includes a lot of the patches that eventually made it
into kernels as recent as 2.4.6.  this is pretty typical of redhat kernels
as they apply whatever patches they need as they go through their qual
cycle.

in production, i generally would only touch "released" versions of the
kernels from folks such as redhat... i only use the latest from
ftp.kernel.org if i'm playing with an experimental system.

-dean