Um, Roy?  WTF are you talking about?

From apr/time/unix/time.c:
APR_DECLARE(apr_time_t) apr_time_now(void)
{
    struct timeval tv;
    gettimeofday(&tv, NULL);
    return tv.tv_sec * APR_USEC_PER_SEC + tv.tv_usec;
}

And as for "demonstrated needs," you're thinking too Apache-centric by a
longshot.

Of course I am. It is still the only application of APR that matters, by a long shot (SVN uses httpd too).

  I very frequently use APR in my research work, which is
graphics-rendering-related (thus, nothing to do with Apache at all).  I
*need* microsecond resolution in real time or as close to it as I can get.
Even millisecond resolution usually isn't enough for my timing needs
(think about it -- 60 frames per second means I need timing information at
a very high resolution, since I get a grand total of a whopping 16ms for
each frame, and I have to make decisions on how to spend that time).
Resolution of time only in seconds would do me zero good.

Sounds great. How about adding a few test cases and finishing the rest of the time code so that it isn't in a halfway state?

I don't have any problem with APR implementing microseconds.  I have a
problem with APR implementing time-in-seconds as microseconds. Always have.
If you need both, then implement both.

....Roy