Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On Thursday, July 15, 2004 10:38 AM +0100 Max Bowsher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>> 1) It doesn't update configure.in / Makefile.in to name apr-config
>> apr-MAJOR-config in the build directory.
>
> Well, that doesn't matter to our external projects.  (And, huh, it's
already
> named like that for me when it's installed.)

Well, actually, it does. It allows you to build a project against an
external, built, but uninstalled apr.

William Rowe indicated in IRC that he finds the feature very useful, so I'm
not going to scrap it when I've already written the code to make it continue
to work.

>> 2) It assumes bundled apr will be apr-1. We want to make find_apr.m4
>> independent of apr version, so that in the future, it could be installed
>> into a system aclocal directory (thanks to noahmcit on #apr for pointing
>> this out).
>
> No, that doesn't matter: if you want to assume bundled APR is less than
1.0,
> use the same find_ap{ru}.m4 you are right now.

Not necessarily. It was suggested on IRC (by noahmcit) that we may want to
consider installing find_apr.m4 to the system aclocal directory, from where
it can transparently fetched into client projects by standard autotools
methods.

>> 3) It only implements "accept apr-0 or apr-1", but unless projects do
extra
>> compatibility work, and make sure to *never* expose the apr ABI in their
own
>> ABI, they will want "accept apr-0 only" or "accept apr-1 only".
>
> Again, not a concern at all.  If you want to accept apr-0 *only*, then
don't
> upgrade to this find_ap{ru}.m4.
>
> It's not like all of the projects would magically upgrade to this: they
have
> to choose to upgrade to this m4 version.  -- justin

Projects wishing to accept apr-0 only can remain with the old m4. However,
some projects (httpd-HEAD!) will want to accept apr-1 only.

I'm currently testing and writing a changelog for a patch that supports all
the above.

Max.