Bob Rossi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to configure/build apr on windows with threads. I already see
> that apr can be built with cl and windows threads. However, currently
> I'd like to avoid using cl, since my project uses the autotools.
>
> I have a few questions,
>
> - can apr be built with mingw and cygwin posix threads?
> - can apr be built with mingw and native posix threads?
> - can apr be built with cygwin g++ and cygwin posix threads?
> - can apr be built with cygwin g++ and native posix threads?
> - can apr be built with either mingw or g++ and with any thread library?
>
> If it's not already documented, it should be added somewhere, as I've
> spent several hours trying to solves this problem already. I'm sure it
> would benefit a lot of people.

There has been some work in this direction - there are more patches pending
in http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/.

The issue with using cygwin beyond-compiling is that you are stacking two
portability layers on top of each other.  Mileage may vary, but it should
look similar to a Hummer.  Similarly with non-native threads, if you are
running under the Win32-NT subsystem.

If you really want to run efficiently and effectively under posix, I suggest
SFU which is a native port, or investigate vmware or the future subsystem
solutions coming out from Netware.

And as we say - patches are ALWAYS welcome for consideration if you can get
past specific issues, but I'd encourage that ./configure should detect that
it is building to the Win32 API unless otherwise informed with --options.

Bill