On 7/17/07, Erik Huelsmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 7/17/07, Lucian Adrian Grijincu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> APR holds everything in locale encoding on UNIX and UTF8 on Windows.
>
> As far as I know UNIX system calls must accept *locale* strings, not
> an arbitrary encoding (be it UTF8 or other). This may be Mac related,
> could you point out exactly from where you deduced that strings passed
> to "stat()" must be UTF8 ... that's a mighty large document to digest
> :)

Sure. First sentence of the last paragraph under "File Systems and
Unicode Support":

I think you mean this page:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPInternational/Articles/FileEncodings.html

If I'm not mistaking the text before this paragraph talks about the
encoding used to represent filenames inside the file system. But this
is not related to the locale (well if a locale used names not
representable in the encoding of the file system you may get corrupted
data or what else).

So, please can you confirm that you can set a locale different than UTF-8?

--
Lucian

"All BSD system functions expect their string parameters to be in
UTF-8 encoding and nothing else."

bye,

I've never worked on a Mac, but can you set the locale to something
else than UTF-8?

Erik.