After some delay I created a new patch with the suggested changes and a
testcase for inclusion in the apr testsuite. (Note that the test can falsely
succeed if your test environment is on C:)

I tested this patch on the 1.4.x branch and 1.3.x, but created the patch based
on trunk. (The visual studio projects don't include the expat build, but it is
required for a successful compilation).

As noted earlier, this issue will be experienced by far more users once
Subversion 1.7 is released, so it would be nice if it is backported to the
relevant releases.

        Bert