Igor wrote a patch that allows to buildconf httpd against an installed
apr / apu. That helps people who want to play with httpd from svn, but
do not want to use recent apr /apu as well and instead build against
installed apr / apu.

To accomplish this, we have to install a few files from the apr / apu
build systems. Two of those files are config.(guess|sub), which are
actually GPL with the following important exception clause:

# As a special exception to the GNU General Public License, if you
# distribute this file as part of a program that contains a
# configuration script generated by Autoconf, you may include it under
# the same distribution terms that you use for the rest of that program.

So shipping with source is fine. But what happens if we copy it into the
installation directory during install? Will the files be still licensed
by the Apache Software LICENSE?

Logically I would say yes, because by the above clause we are allowed to
ship it under the Apache Software License ("the same distribution terms
that you use for the rest of that program") with the source. Surely that
license allows the file to be installed with the same license as APR, so
it should stay Apache License after being installed.

But IANAL.

Other solution would be to keep a copy of config.(guess|sub) in the
httpd source tree. Any opinion? Copy, or ask legal?

Regards,

Rainer