As I recall, Paul tested using tcmalloc or some other allocator to replace
apr_palloc(). No bueno.

The short answer is that pool-based allocation is *wicked* fast, compared
to any other attempt/mechanism for allocating memory. I managed to improve
over apr by removing an if-test or two, but any other approach will be
comparatively/miserably slow.

Now, that said: it sounds like you're not asking about apr_palloc(), but
really about apr_pool_create(). I believe that would likely be just fine
for something like HTTPD. On a per-request basis, it doesn't really
allocate many pools. But Subversion tends to create a pool for any for-loop
that might allocate memory. *Thousands* get created/destroyed across some
Subversion operation. On the client, another microsecond isn't going to be
a big deal, but the server exhibits this behavior too.

Is your goal to remove the burdens, and simplify the codebase? Or .. ???

Cheers,
-g