Hi,

a while ago I've been pointed by Bert to the fact that APRUtil 1.5.4
includes Expat 1.95.7 which is rather old (from October 2003). According
tohttp://www.libexpat.org/  there has been another 1.95 release with
mostly bugfixes (1.95.8 in July 2004) and the latest one is 2.1.0 (from
March 2012).

Especially in light of 2.1.0 incorporating several security fixes, Bert
suggested that I upgrade Expat to the latest version.

I'm wondering whether it wouldn't be useful if APRUtil would update its
Expat integration directly. Originally I planned to provide a patch for
that, but after checking things out I realize that it'd take me a
significant amount of time (especially since I'd have to check/test the
Linux integration) to bring the patch up to a quality which could be
accepted.

I also read that there are plans for APR 2 to incorporate APRUtil
directly and drop the direct integration of Expat. Nevertheless, I think
that APR-Util 1.5.x will still be around for several years, it might
still serve a purpose to upgrade Expat in 1.5.x.

In case that helps, I've put together the patch I'm using to upgrade
Expat in APRUtil for building Apache HTTP & SVN on Windows to this
issue:http://www.luke1410.de:8090/browse/MAXSVN-1
In principle it's just copying over the files from Expat 2.1.0 following
the description from glsmith here:
https://www.apachelounge.com/viewtopic.php?t=5416  .
Only some tweaks were made to keep some of the APRUtil specific changes
I spotted.

Please note that this was only tested in my own build environment and
only on Windows. It certainly won't work on Linux as is.

Regards,
Stefan