Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 7:45 PM, Rainer M. Canavan <a...@canavan.de> wrote:
>
> > William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> > > Any chance you could review the man page of these functions on IRIX and
> > > report back, specifically return value and error exceptions?  MAX is a
> > > valid value.  They might be playing some game with endptr to signify
> > errors.
> >
> > There's no hint to such a behaviour in the manpage (available
> > online e.g. at
> > http://irix.polarhome.com/service/man/?qf=strtoull&tf=2&of=IRIX&sf=3 ),
> > and my experiments would indicate that the endptr just doesn't care
> > about numeric overflows and happily points at the character following
> > 100 or more '9's.
> >
> > It turns out that it is indeed pthread's fault, and errno behaves
> > properly if one either #include <pthread.h> as well whenever <errno.h>
> > is used, or alternatively, errno.h can be persuaded to use the thread-safe
> > definition of errno by defining _SGI_MP_SOURCE,  _POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 199506L
> > or _XOPEN_SOURCE >= 500. I haven't tested any of those with apr yet,
> > just with a small test program.
> >
> > rainer
> >

> That's essentially like _REENTRANT on Solaris; I helped someone with their
> hopeless socket API code years ago and saw that they had inserted checks
> for all sorts of errno values they had seen in testing but it was never
> enough.  (They weren't accessing the errno value for the thread.)
>
> Look in build/apr_hints.m4 for the proper place for such settings, including
>
> *-irix*)
>         APR_ADDTO(CPPFLAGS, [-D_POSIX_THREAD_SAFE_FUNCTIONS])

_SGI_MP_SOURCE=1 seems to work:

-       APR_ADDTO(CPPFLAGS, [-D_POSIX_THREAD_SAFE_FUNCTIONS])
+       APR_ADDTO(CPPFLAGS, [-D_POSIX_THREAD_SAFE_FUNCTIONS -D_SGI_MP_SOURCE=1])

The other two defines I listed above aren't useful for building apr.
-D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=199506 causes a build failure because getpass() is undefined,
and "A value of type "int" cannot be used to initialize an entity of type "char
*"
in apr_getpass.c Line 242. If I cause "function is declared implicitly" to
cause compile errors, configure aborts while trying to determine the format
for apr_ssize_t (because exit() is defined implicitly in those tests).

Similarly, defining _XOPEN_SOURCE makes hstrerror() disappear.

I would have expected autoreconf to be sufficient to pick up changes to
apr_hints.m4, or ideally just running make to cause a complete re-build
of all the auto* stuff, but I had to unpack the source, edit apr_hints.m4,
run autoreconf, configure and build to get the desired changes to propagate.

rainer