Unfortunately Windows doesn't in any sensible way... AFAIK and please
correct me if I'm wrong, there is still no strateful/resumable stream
oriented win32 charset conversion API.

The Apr ucs2 utf8 logic is used for speed because it happens so often.
Slower alternatives always existed in the win32 API.

And of course with FnA() it was always fun speculating if that call used
OEM CP or locale CP. :)