I don't believe we can do libxml2 until the release of 1.7.0, the supporting
logic that Nick committed is sitting in trunk/2.0 - It's not on my agenda today,
but after 1.6.1/1.6.3, sure.

Back to the subject at hand, I tested using the expat and expat_static
projects, making libexpat.dll/.lib and libexpatMD.lib respectively. That
is what is recognized by the Makefile.win file right now.

Building expat's cmake flavor doesn't appear to result in shared+static,
which is a little unusual. So forcing a -D BUILD_shared=OFF in the
cmake invocation delivers the classic XML_STATIC libs. with the
expat.lib name. Here, building apr with XML_PARSER=expat does
deliver the expected results, and is what httpd would want for all
of the support/* tools which we compile statically against apr.lib.