On 25 Jul 2019, at 14:26, Nick Kew <n...@apache.org> wrote:

> Would that be purely in C, or could it be a mix, perhaps including scripting
> languages?

Purely in C.

Exposing APR to other languages through something like swig also sounds useful,
but that’s not my goal here.

> First thought: harmless, but how useful is it?  Do you have evidence of a
> userbase who
> are insufficiently served by existing tools in a similar space?

Yes, me. :)

From time to time I need to safely manipulate an URL in a shell script, or I
need to unescape something in one type of encoding and reescape it in another,
and deploying a sledgehammer scripting language to do that little thing becomes
tedious.

As for the dbd tool, a while back I had a need to read data out of mysql and
write it to postgresql (or other way around, don’t remember) and the native
tools made this one major headache. You needed to be on the same machine
running as the same user as the database. For crying out loud, why is this hard.

>> Second question is structure. Part of APR? Alongside APR?
>
> Either within APR or your external effort: IMHO it would be excessively
> bureaucratic
> to put it within the ASF but separate from APR.

What I meant was part of the apr package, or alongside the apr package (as
apr-util is alongside the apr package).

Regards,
Graham
—