On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 4:11 AM Ivan Zhakov <i...@visualsvn.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Sep 2020 at 08:15, <wr...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Author: wrowe
>> Date: Sat Sep  5 05:15:52 2020
>> New Revision: 1881476

>>  /**
>> + * @deprecated @see apr_conv_utf8_to_utf16
>> + */
>> +#define apr_conv_utf8_to_ucs2(in, inbytes, out, outwords)
>> apr_conv_utf8_to_utf16(in, inbytes, out, outwords)
>>
> As far as I understand this doesn't fix ABI compatibility: applications
> linked with older APR cannot be used with newer one.

You understand correctly.

apr 2.0 has never been released, so trunk is subject to arbitrary changes.
Programs
linked against apr 1.x cannot load libapr-2.so binaries, that release is
ABI-breaking
by design.

Once apr 2.0 has been released, we have a new ABI to follow.

FWIW the ucs2 -> utf16 naming normalization only lives on 2.0 trunk,
and was never
/will never be considered for backport to 1.x..