Hi Martin
There is some documentation on release here
http://archiva.apache.org/developers/releasing.html
the stage:copy last step is not up2date anymore.
I will update that this week.
Release is usually a manual process. I think you have to release redback
first?

I changed Jira setup and you should be able to create versions.
Let me know if you still cannot.

Cheers
Olivier

--