I do not think you need to import the substituting template: the whole
point is that it should be left to the orchestrator to "stitch" things
together.

However, I do think you at least need the substituted node type to be
known, so that the parser can validate the mappings. So it might make sense
to have a "types.yaml" or similar that you import both at the server and
client templates.

ARIA's validation errors in this case would be 1) if it doesn't recognize
the node type name, 2) if the mappings don't refer to declared
reqs-and-caps, and 3) if the substituted reqs-and-caps don't match in
types. (Note that you are allowed to substitute a child type, because the
polymorphic contract is still in place.)

Maybe point us exactly to the section in the spec that is confusing here
and we can try to understand it together.