As far as I can tell we do a general reverse topological sort of the graph,
so that *all* relationships are considered. So all relationship target
nodes would appear before relationship source nodes.

I'm not 100% sure this is a great idea. Though all the normative
relationships seem to have that order -- attaches to, binds to, hosted on,
depends on, etc. -- users might be creating other directions, or indeed
having more complex inter-relationships. Of course it's generally
impossible to make one size fits all, so ARIA at least lets you create your
own custom workflows with whatever ordering you need.

But I would guess those are edge cases. Are you encountering an issue or
just generally wondering?