Hi all,

there is one regular problem people face when using blueprint or even spring dm in the same way.

The blueprint xml is basically only passive. So if there is no blueprint extender present then the bundle will go active but will never actually do something as the blueprint context is never established. The problem here is that it just silently fails. There is no information that anything went wrong.

So I wonder if we could create a capability like org.osgi.blueprint or org.osgi.blueprint.extender that will be offered by the aries blueprint extender and will be required by user bundles using blueprint. So the resolver can tell an admin that he tries to install a blueprint bundle without also installing a suitable blueprint extender. Of course this will only make sense if the capbility is universal over blueprint providers so it would have to be added to the spec.

As a second step I wonder if this could also be applied to the blueprint namespaces. There could be a naming scheme for describing blueprint namespaces as capabilities. So the bundle implementing the namespace could offer the capability and the bundle using the namespace could require it.

Apart from helping the admin diagnosing non working deployments I think these ideas could even automate deployments. So for example an OBR resolver could automatically install a blueprint extender or certain namespace impls if a bundle requires them.

What do you think?

Christian

--
Christian Schneider